You need to decide what type of bike rack you want, and what features are important to you. This comprehensive guide will help you choose the best bike rack for your needs.
Roof-Mounted Bike Rack
The most common type is the roof-mounted bike rack, which attaches to your vehicle’s roof crossbars. This type of rack is ideal for transporting multiple bikes, and it’s also very secure. However, it can be a bit cumbersome to install and can limit your access to the trunk or hatchback.
Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack
Another popular type of bike rack is the hitch-mounted bike rack. This type attaches to the receiver hitch on your vehicle and is perfect for larger vehicles that don’t have roof crossbars. It can carry up to four bikes and is very easy to use. However, it can be expensive and takes up some additional space when not in use.
Trunk-mounted bike rack
If you’re looking for a bike rack that is easy to install and doesn’t require any additional equipment, then a trunk-mounted bike rack might be right for you. This type attaches to the rear of your vehicle with straps or hooks and can hold one or two bikes. It’s also very affordable and easy to store when not in use. However, it can be less secure than other types of bike racks and may not be suitable for larger vehicles.
Now that you know the different types of bike racks available, it’s time to choose the right one for your needs. Here are some things to keep in mind:
– The type of vehicle you have: If you have a smaller car, then a roof-mounted bike rack might not be the best option. Conversely, if you have a large SUV or van, then a hitch-mounted bike rack would be ideal.
– How many bikes do you need to transport: If you only need to transport one or two bikes, then a trunk-mounted bike rack should suffice. However, if you need to transport multiple bikes, then a roof-mounted or hitch-mounted bike rack would be better suited.
– Your budget: Bike racks can range in price from around $30 to over $200. so be sure to consider your budget when choosing a bike rack.
– Ease of installation: Some bike racks are easier to install than others. If you’re not very mechanically inclined, then opt for a bike rack that is easy to set up.
– Storage: When not in use, some bike racks take up a lot of space. If storage is an issue, choose a bike rack that can be easily folded down or stored away.
Once you’ve selected the right bike rack for your needs, it’s time to install it properly. Here are some tips:
Installation Tips for Bike Rack
– Read the instructions carefully: This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to read the instructions carefully before installing any bike rack. That way, you’ll be sure you’re doing it correctly and won’t damage your vehicle.
– Use caution when attaching straps: When attaching any straps or hooks to your vehicle, be sure not to overtighten them. Otherwise, you could damage your car’s paint job or bodywork.
– Make sure bikes are secure: Before you hit the road, be sure to double-check that all bikes are securely attached to the bike rack. Otherwise, they could fall off and cause an accident.
– Use a bike lock: If you’re leaving your bike rack attached to your vehicle when not in use, be sure to use a bike lock to deter theft.
– Store bike rack properly: When not in use, be sure to store your bike rack in a dry, safe place. That way, it will be ready to go the next time you need it.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your bike rack is installed properly and safely. And now that you have the right bike rack for your needs, you can hit the open road and explore everything that your local area has to offer.